You are here Home> Council> About the Council
About the Council
Vision, Mission & Values
|To continually create and improve those factors in the physical, social and economic environments which will enhance and improve the quality of life of all sectors of the City Community and visitors.
|To effectively and efficiently manage the City affairs in partnership with the Government, Private Sector, International Agencies, Civil Societies Religious and Community-based groups in our joined, committed and focused effort to achieve our stated Vision.
- Integrity & Honesty Customer focus
- Productivity at an individual level
- Community and Civic responsibility
To meet this challenge, the Suva City Council has formulated the following objectives within the city’s economic, social, cultural and physical environments.
To continue to reclaim city foreshore and supply land for economic purposes
- To extend Suva’s boundaries outwards from Tamavua ward, for economic purposes
- To promote Suva as a business-friendly destination,
- To provide good conditions and environment for industries within the existing zoning
- To promote further office activities
- To take full advantage of tourists that visit Suva
- To encourage and to regulate the establishment of informal activities.
- To build cultural linkages between individuals and groups living and working in Suva and beyond
- To provide them with opportunities to meet, to communicate, to exchange, to formulate joint cultural projects and activities and to coordinate with one another
- To mobilize all stakeholders and
- To facilitate this integration process and to provide facilities for that purpose
- To meet through specialized organizations the needs of youth in terms of recreational and sports facilities
- To continue to promote, create and sustain a clean environment and healthy lifestyle
- To participate in the creation of a secure and safe environment for local people and visitors:
- To help prevent youth from becoming delinquents,
- To contribute through specialized organizations in the rehabilitation of delinquents,
- To participate in the formulation of policies and to complement the work of other stakeholders as regards the meeting of the needs of the beggars, street kids, informal settlements and other categories of people living below poverty lines within Suva,
- To participate in the formulation of policies and to complement the work of other stakeholders in regards to meeting the needs of people with disabilities, senior citizens, families and the unemployed,
- To participate in the formulation of policies and to complement the work of other stakeholders as regards the meeting the needs of women and children.
Environmental and physical objectives
- To balance between economic growth and the protection of the environment
- To facilitate the mobility of urban population within, to and from Suva
- To create a cleaner and beautiful physical environment
- To continually upgrade and maintain urban infrastructure (roads, pathways, bridges, parks, recreational areas, streetlights, drains, buildings)
- To continually lobby the Government and service providers to improve the delivery of services such as water and sewerage facilities, power and communications.
Back to the Top