You are here Services\ Finance\ Doing Business\ Normal Business
Any business that is operating in Suva must apply for a business license under Business License Act – cap 204 with the Suva City Council. Those businesses operating outside of Suva City must apply to the respective councils.
Business License Application Process
Any application received by Suva City Council, Business License section goes through the following process:
1. Business License Section
Application with all applicable requirements is received and registered. Please refer to Business License Requirement checklist (PDF).
2. Town Planning Inspection
A Town Planning Inspector will check the location of your business to make sure that you are allowed to operate your business there. For example, there are strict regulations for operating a business in a residential area. If you are planning to operate in a residential zone, write a letter to the Special Administrator explaining why you want to locate your business there. Include letters from your neighbors supporting the location of your business.
3. Health Inspection
Inspection on premises is required by Health Inspectors before business license is issued. Cleanliness and safety of the premises is checked. If you are applying for a business licence to make or sell food/Hair & Beauty Salon/Barbershop, you will need a health permit – refer health license checklist before you submit your application.
4. Finance Department
The application is forwarded back to finance where all approvals are verified. Once all approvals have been granted you will then be contacted by the Suva City Council to pay for and collect your Business License. If your application is not approved, you will be advised accordingly.
Business License processing timeline is 7-10 working days.
Important Things To Note Before submitting your application
- Please ensure all your documents are in order.
- Do not provide false information in your application forms
- Be absolutely sure on what type of business and its location to avoid further delays
- You can always include a short letter with your application explaining on any detail regarding your application.
- Processing fee of $21.80 is non refundable if your application is not approved.
- Please ask for assistance from any business license customer service personnel on any issue regarding your application.
- License will only be issued when your city rates arrears, Parking fines and base fees arrears are cleared.
Fees & Charges:
|A NON-REFUNDABLE fee of $21.80FJD is charged as Processing Fee|
Forms to Download: