The Special Administrator is appointment by the Government of the day to oversee the policy implementation of the Ministry of Local Government and the Council. As a direct reportee to the Government the position ensures implementation of the Peoples Charter and in particular in relation to Good Governance, transparency, integrity and accountability.
The Special Administrator position ensures that the objectives of the organization and its inhabitance is adhered to and achieved. He also ensures that all of Council standing procedures and policies are updated in accordance with the regulations and duly complied with.
Chief Executive Officer
The Chief Executive Officer has an overriding responsibility in ensuring that various departments are efficient and effective in their respective strategic and operational functions. In this context the Chief Executive Officer is responsible for coordinating and integrating all departmental functions for the purpose of achieving the organization’s goals. Essentially the Chief Executive Officer is responsible for performance monitoring and ensuring the organization is moving towards the right strategic direction.
Internal Audit Section
To assist the Councils in fulfilling its oversight, foresight and insight responsibilities for:
- To establish audit objectives and scope of work; establish the management budget; and take responsibility for the overall function of the audit project through wrap-up and final report delivery.
- To develop and establish the risk management framework of the Suva City Council which includes the identification of the risk, the measurement of risk, the monitoring and controlling of risk.
- To evaluate the policy and procedures in the Suva City Council and determine if such systems can adequately manage and control the identified risks level.
- To keep up with latest developments in the area of audit and risk management of Local Government and implement applicable standards and procedures to improve overall risk management framework of the Suva City Council.
- Enforcing Council by-laws in order to eliminate illegal developments and other related activities, prosecution of court cases and providing legal advice to Council.
- Maintenance of all records which includes sustaining the confidentiality of information, sound records management practices, control movement of correspondence within Council and providing support services to the Executive Secretary in the preparation of Council Meeting Papers as well as Civic Functions.
Administration & Operations
The main roles and key responsibilities of the Admin & Operations Department are submitted here under;
Human Resource Section
- Managing Council Human Resources to deliver expected level of services. Integrating systems and process that will have considerable impact on council’s capacity to deliver excellent service, through good governance, integrity and performance management
Property Management Section
- Effectively managing revenue earning centers and other Council properties through upgrading, developing, maintaining the necessary infrastructure and facilities in good marketable state.
- Effectively managing daily income generating properties such as Markets, Pool etc. It also interacts and coordinates with relevant stakeholders when necessary, such as Fiji Police Force, Tourism industry, Suva Retailers Association and other sectors of the business community.
- Provide information (books and internet café) and learning opportunities to the Citizen of Suva and the larger community including visitors.
The main roles and key responsibilities of the Engineering Department are submitted hereunder;
- Construction & Maintenance of roads and footpaths, bridges, Council buildings, Drainage System, Bus Shelters, Streetlights, Street Furniture, Parks and Garden, etc.
- Implementation of Councils capital development projects
Town Planning Section
- Approval of Land Sub division, Building and other development application under the ambit of the Town Planning Act
- Implementation and Review of town planning scheme and coordinating major projects within the city
- Land Acquisition for future development for the City.
Structural & Building Section
- Process Application and Monitoring of Building/Development Progress within the City.
- Design of Councils development projects
- Attending to Ratepayers Complaints and Queries on Building and Development
Engineering & Design Section
- Survey, investigation and Design of Councils infrastructure
- Monitoring of Sub divisional works within the City
- Attending to Ratepayers Complaints and Queries on Infrastructure
- The Engineering Departments main objective is to maintain the services to the ratepayers in respect of well maintain infrastructure, while at the same time carry out capital Developments to improve the City’s image.
Council has a broad role in the areas of public health & environment health by providing services to improve the living conditions & quality of life of its citizens. The following key activities are rendered by the two (2) sections of the Department.
- Inspection of premises, whether developed or not, to ensure health compliance
- Inspection of all hotels, boarding houses, restaurants, refreshment bars, butcher shops, supermarkets, grocery shops, nightclubs, taverns, canteens, dairy shops, hairdressers shops, barbershops, beauty salons, tattoo shops, laundries and any other operating businesses to ensure compliance before issuance of health permits and or business licenses
- Food Safety and Control
- Prevention of spread of communicable and non-communicable diseases
- Pollution control
- Processing of building development applications to ensure compliance.
- Legal Enforcement: –
- Local Government Act Cap. 125
- Public Health Act & Public Health Regulations Cap 111
- PH (National Building Code) Regulations 2004
- Food Safety Act 2003 & Food Safety Regulations 2009
- Litter promulgation 2008
- Environmental Management Act 2005
- Prosecution for non-compliance
- Customer Service
- Solid waste Management – Collection & disposal of garbage and green waste at Landfill as per schedule
- Managing composting & recycling facilities.
- Managing City Cleaning Contract – General cleaning and maintenance of City streets, parks, reserves, storm water drainage, flood prone and public drains
- Cleaning and maintenance of all City public conveniences (public toilets)
- Provide services for emptying of septic tanks and cleaning of gully pits
- Health promotion and awareness, including clean schools program
- Community participation & engagement
- Dog control in the City
- Managing City’s public litter bins
- Process building applications requiring Percolation Test
- Environmental clean-up campaigns
- Managing communal skip bin (solid waste removal) service
- Administer Department procurement activities and garbage fees
- Home Compost Booklet
- Litter Poster
- No Smoking Poster
- Recycle Sticker Can
- Waste Separation Flyer
- Recycle Sticker Bottles
The primary roles and responsibilities of Finance Department are to assist Council in achieving its goals and objectives through the following:
- Collection of all City Rates including Rates arrears
- Maintaining rates payers database
Business License Section
- Billing and collection of business license
- Processing and maintaining business license database.
Parking Meter & Towing Section
- Ensures free flow of traffic within the Central Business District (CBD) area.
- Issues Land Transport Authority (LTA) infringement notices
- Billing and collections of monthly car park spaces in Suva areas
- Billing and collection of other revenue streams.
- Responsible for managing Council’s bank accounts.
- Provide timely, accurate and accessible financial information to management, and policy-makers in making sound financial and business decisions.
- Provide financial information and decision support services regarding capital investments for its physical infrastructure such as roads, buildings, and plant and machinery
- Provide financial information to support financial decisions regarding development initiatives that will assist Council in creating an environment that generates and maximizes economic development opportunities
- Reconciliations and payment of creditors accounts
- Reconciliations of Councils loan repayments
Information Technology Section
- Provide reliable Information Technology infrastructure through proper support and management of all hardware and software requirements.
- Ensure business continuity through daily database backups.
- Responsible for developing and updating of the Council web sites.